Operating during the Covid 19 Pandemic
Waterford Suir Valley Railway with the support of a Business Continuity Voucher from Waterford Local Enterprise Board prepared Back to Work Protocols to ensure the business could re-open with Covid 19.
A Risk Assessment was completed and staff training was carried out the first week in June in preparation to re- open. All recommendations were implemented in line with HSE Guidelines for operating during the Covid 19 Pandemic, including return to work forms, staff temperature checks, hand washing, sanitizing, social distancing and what to do if you have symptoms of Covid 19.
The maintenance staff returned to work on 18th May to continue with maintenance at Kilmeadan Station premises and on the rolling stock in preparation for the 2020 season.
The Whistlestop Café opened on Monday 8th June with a takeaway only service. Visitors to Waterford Greenway enjoyed hot and cold refreshments, home baked treats, whipped cones and 99’s, HB Ice cream and snacks. The toilet facilities were open to the public.
The railway operation re-opens on 29th June. There will be several changes to the operation.
- Bookings will now be done online only.
- There will only be one family allowed per train compartment to allow for social distancing.
- The train will be sanitised between trips.
- Each journey is from Kilmeaden to Carriganore return.
- The train will not stop at Mount Congreve Gardens as this entrance from the Waterford Greenway is closed.
- The tickets will be looked at but not punched by the conductor to avoid interaction.