What is a Cookie?
A cookie is a small text file sent by a website’s server to the browser on your computer or mobile device. Some, but not all, may use your personal data. Their use is governed under the GDPR and the ePrivacy Directive. There are two basic types:
- Essential cookies: these allow the website to operate correctly and safely. They are placed on your deice when you visit our website though you can block these using your browser settings. If you choose to do this the website will likely not work correctly. We use these under legitimate interest to provide you with the information you wish to access about the railway.
- Other cookies: This include cookies such as those that monitor how the website is used, record preferences and for marketing. These will only be placed on your device when you give your consent which you can withdraw at any time.
- For the operation of our website and services including booking tickets
- To improve your user experience such as by remembering your preferences and settings which make it easier and faster to navigate through our website
- To log your use of our website and services so that we can understand which content you find useful or interesting.
- To support our advertising of the railway and determine the effectiveness of any advertising or marketing campaigns.
- To ensure our site formats correctly for mobile phones and other devices.
- To provide links to our social media and videos.
Types of cookies and why we use them
We use different types of cookies to run our website and Services including:
Essential or Strictly necessary cookies
We use preferences cookies to personalise and improve your experience by making it easier and faster to navigate through our website. These remember your preferences and help personalise your visits, greet you by name and to simplify any sign-in procedures. These cookies require your consent before we use them.
Statistics cookies help us to understand how visitors gain access to or read our content and interact with our website. We collect statistical information about our visitors, such as whether they have visited the site before and the pages they view. We use these cookies to help us to improve our website and its content through understanding which content you find useful or interesting. Statistics cookies are provided by Google Analytics. These cookies require your consent before we use them.
Note: To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites you visit, you can download a piece of software from: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
These cookies, when used, help fund the railway and its activities by allowing Google display advertising on our website.
When these cookies are used then enable third-party vendors to:
- Help show ads that are relevant to you based on inferred interests. This is often called online behavioural advertising (OBA)
- Restrict the number of times you see the same ad (frequency capping)
- Create a browsing profile that is used to deliver more relevant ads
- Measure the effectiveness of the ads that are served
- Detect fraudulent traffic
We do not have access to the information collected by third-party cookies nor do we control how they process this information. These cookies require your consent before we use them.
Note: The current version of the WSVR website does not use this type of cookies but we may in the future.
For details of the cookies we wish to use please see the information provided by the cookie management tool.
Some of the links on our website such those to videos and social media are operated by third parties and not directly related to the Waterford Suir Valley Railway.
Managing your cookie preferences
We provide a cookie management tool to enable you to make a choice, and to change that choice whenever you wish, regarding all but the essential cookies we wish to use.
Alternatively, by modifying your browser preferences, you have the choice to accept all cookies, to accept different types of cookies or to be notified when a cookie is set. It is also possible to configure your browser from accepting cookies altogether by changing your browser’s cookie settings. The following links may be helpful.
Cookie settings in Firefox
Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
Cookie settings in Safari web and iOS
Please visit your browsers help page for more information.
Updates to this policy
This policy was last updated in July 2020.